Level 3 NPTC UA2 utility arboriculture
NPTC UA2 Assessment
Aimed predominantly at those working within or looking to work within the utility arboriculture sector, or people required to carry out any arboricultural or forestry work within the proximity of live overhead powerlines
This two day field based course has been developed to provide the candidates with the specific skills and knowledge required to safely carry out arboricultural works within the proximity zone of live overhead powerlines and to undertake the NPTC UA2 assessment.
Upon the completion of this course, the candidate will:
- Be able to identify a range of common broadleaved and coniferous tree species and be able to comment on their individual timber characteristics and growth rates in relation to overhead powerlines;
- Gain a basic understanding of the factors which might influence a trees growth;
- Understand the significance and hazards associated with epicormic sprout growth, climbing plants, defective trees and trees with dangerous overhang;
- Understand the basic principles of targeted and directional pruning.
- Recognise the importance of site specific/electrical risk assessments and be able to identify and control hazards on a variety of sites;
- Understand the electrical method of work required for dealing with each category of tree;
- Display competence in the use of insulated pole tools for installation of ropes and carrying out pruning operations;
- Understand the importance of the care and maintenance of insulating poles;
- Be able to assess individual trees for hazards prior to felling;
- Demonstrate the safe method of felling trees adjacent to overhead power lines.
- Demonstrate competence in safely accessing and pruning trees within the proximity zone of overhead powerlines;
- State the information required when briefing ground staff to ensure climbing operations are carried out safely.
The pre-requisites for UA2 are:
UA2.1 – pre-requisite: UA1
UA2.2 – pre-requisites: CS30 or 002003, CS31 or 002004, UA1, UA2.1
UA2.3 – pre-requisites: CS30 or 002003, CS31 or 002004, CS38 or 002013, CS39 or 002108, CS40 or 002107, UA1, UA2.1, UA2.2
Two days training with assessment on a separate day
Training £230 per person plus VAT
NPTC Assessment £230 per person
If required we can offer candidates training in each of the separate UA2 units (UA2.1/UA2.2/UA2.3).
Chainsaw suitable for ground use, fuel/oil, maintenance tools.
PPE Required: Chainsaw trousers class 1 type A or C, chainsaw boots, chainsaw helmet with chinstrap, ear defenders and visor, (chinstrap 2.3 only) chainsaw gloves, personal first aid kit with large wound dressing and whistle.
For UA2.3 only – full climbing kit, (harness, climbing ropes, adjustable stop and karabiners) pruning saw, cur resistant climbing gloves.
An in date thorough LOLER examination certificate (or certificate of conformity/receipt for items less than 6 months old) will be required for all items of climbing equipment.
All equipment is available to hire at an additional cost including PPE. Please enquire for details.
To remain qualified recertification must be carried out every 3 years. Please enquire for details.
5 & 6 January 2021 with assessment on 8 January 2021 – sold out
16 & 17 February 2021 with assessment on 22 February 2021 – sold out
18 & 19 February 2021 with assessment on 23 February – sold out
25 & 26 March 2021 with assessment on 29 March 2021 – sold out
30 & 31 March 2021 with assessment on 1 April 2021 – sold out
GROUND BASED COURSES
LEVEL 2 AWARD IN CHAINSAW MAINTENANCE AND CROSS CUTTING (FORMERLY NPTC CS30)
LEVEL 2 AWARD IN FELLING AND PROCESSING TREES UP TO 380MM
(FORMERLY NPTC CS31)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN FELLING AND PROCESSING TREES OVER 380MM
(FORMERLY NPTC CS32)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN SEVERING UPROOTED OR WINDBLOWN TREES USING A CHAINSAW
(FORMERLY NPTC CS34, CS35)
AERIAL / CLIMBING BASED COURSES
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN TREE CLIMBING AND AERIAL RESCUE (FORMERLY NPTC CS38)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL CUTTING OF TREES WITH A CHAINSAW USING FREEFALL TECHNIQUES (FORMERLY NPTC CS39)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL TREE PRUNING (FORMERLY NPTC CS40)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL TREE RIGGING (FORMERLY NPTC CS41)
UTILITY ARBORICULTURE BASED COURSES
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA1 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA2 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA5 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
FIRST AID / HEALTH & SAFETY
EMERGENCY FIRST AID +F
BASIC INTRODUCTION TO CHAINSAW USE AND MAINTENANCE
SRT (SINGLE ROPE TECHNIQUE)
IN ADDITION TO TRAINING & ASSESSMENTS WE ALSO OFFER A FULL LOLER INSPECTION SERVICE FOR CLIMBING AND RIGGING KITS.
EVENTS / NEWS
EVENTS / NEWS
"Very well delivered, very knowledgable"
"Would recommend and use again for free works"
"Very relaxed and information with very experienced trainers"
"Very informative and well delivered"
"The team could not have been more helpful, they have done an excellent job and left the site extremely tidy."
Contact us today for all your tree care, hedge, and woodland needs. Our friendly team can help with emergency tree-surgeon call-outs, and enquiries about Hi-Line’s complete range of tree surgery services.
Hi-Line can help with every job, whatever its size. Hi-Line’s team of 250 are based in Exeter, Bristol, Wiltshire and London – and Hi-Line serves Devon, South Wales, and The Midlands, too. Call Hi-Line now, and get better tree services – fast.