Level 3 Award in aerial cutting of trees with a chainsaw using freefall techniques (formerly NPTC CS39)
Aerial Cutting of trees with a chainsaw using free-fall techniques
NPTC Assessment Unit 002108
This two-day field-based course is aimed predominantly at those looking to pursue a career as a climbing arborist or tree surgeon but is suitable for anyone wishing to learn how to safely operate a chainsaw from a rope and harness.
This course combines all the skills and techniques learnt during the cross-cutting, small tree felling and climbing courses.
The fundamental skills and knowledge learnt during this essential course will be the foundations of everything the candidates will go on to learn during their arborist careers.
This course will also provide the candidate with all the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required to undertake the NPTC Level 3 Unit 002108 assessment
Upon the completion of this course, the candidate will:
- Understand the specific industry legislation and safety guidelines relevant to using a chainsaw from a rope and harness;
- Successfully identify the hazards and risks associated with the working area;
- Be able to carry out a basic level hazard evaluation of a tree;
- Demonstrate techniques for hauling chainsaws into the tree and attaching them appropriately to the harness;
- Carry out pre-start checks to the chainsaw and demonstrate cold and warm starting techniques;
- Understand the importance of secure and comfortable work positioning while using a chainsaw from a rope and harness to improve safety and work quality;
- Be able to explain the basic principles of natural target pruning;
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of a variety of different cuts including step cuts, sink cuts and natural target pruning cuts;
- Use top handled or lightweight rear handled chainsaws in a safe and efficient manner to remove light and medium weight branches;
- Be competent in the use of pulling ropes and slings to assist with the cut sections.
Top handled chainsaw or light weight rear handled saw (maximum of 15” bar), fuel/oil, maintenance tools.
PPE Required: chainsaw trousers Class 1 type C, chainsaw boots, chainsaw helmet with ear and eye protection & chin strap, cut resistant climbing gloves, full climbing kit (harness, climbing ropes, adjustable stop and karabiners), first aid kit with large wound dressing and whistle).
An in date thorough LOLER examination certificate (or certificate of conformity/receipt for items less than 6 months old) will be required for all items of climbing equipment.
All equipment is available to hire including PPE. Please enquire for details.
Pre-requisites for this course:
Cross-cutting and chainsaw maintenance (002003 or CS30)
Small Tree Felling (002004 or CS31)
Climbing and aerial rescue (002013 or CS38)
Two days training with an assessment on a separate day
Training £230 per person plus VAT
NPTC Assessment £150 per person
27 & 28 January 2021 with assessment on 29 January 2021 – sold out
23 & 24 February 2021 with assessment on 25 February 2021 – sold out
17 & 18 March 2021 with assessment on 19 March 2021 – sold out
6 & 7 July 2021 with assessment on 8 July 2021 – sold out
15 & 16 September 2021 with assessment on 20 September 2021 – sold out
GROUND BASED COURSES
LEVEL 2 AWARD IN CHAINSAW MAINTENANCE AND CROSS CUTTING (FORMERLY NPTC CS30)
LEVEL 2 AWARD IN FELLING AND PROCESSING TREES UP TO 380MM
(FORMERLY NPTC CS31)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN FELLING AND PROCESSING TREES OVER 380MM
(FORMERLY NPTC CS32)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN SEVERING UPROOTED OR WINDBLOWN TREES USING A CHAINSAW
(FORMERLY NPTC CS34, CS35)
AERIAL / CLIMBING BASED COURSES
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN TREE CLIMBING AND AERIAL RESCUE (FORMERLY NPTC CS38)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL CUTTING OF TREES WITH A CHAINSAW USING FREEFALL TECHNIQUES (FORMERLY NPTC CS39)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL TREE PRUNING (FORMERLY NPTC CS40)
LEVEL 3 AWARD IN AERIAL TREE RIGGING (FORMERLY NPTC CS41)
UTILITY ARBORICULTURE BASED COURSES
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA1 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA2 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
LEVEL 3 NPTC UA5 UTILITY ARBORICULTURE
FIRST AID / HEALTH & SAFETY
EMERGENCY FIRST AID +F
BASIC INTRODUCTION TO CHAINSAW USE AND MAINTENANCE
SRT (SINGLE ROPE TECHNIQUE)
IN ADDITION TO TRAINING & ASSESSMENTS WE ALSO OFFER A FULL LOLER INSPECTION SERVICE FOR CLIMBING AND RIGGING KITS.
EVENTS / NEWS
EVENTS / NEWS
"Very well delivered, very knowledgable"
"Would recommend and use again for free works"
"Very relaxed and information with very experienced trainers"
"Very informative and well delivered"
"The team could not have been more helpful, they have done an excellent job and left the site extremely tidy."
Contact us today for all your tree care, hedge, and woodland needs. Our friendly team can help with emergency tree-surgeon call-outs, and enquiries about Hi-Line’s complete range of tree surgery services.
Hi-Line can help with every job, whatever its size. Hi-Line’s team of 250 are based in Exeter, Bristol, Wiltshire and London – and Hi-Line serves Devon, South Wales, and The Midlands, too. Call Hi-Line now, and get better tree services – fast.